In the previous Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) system users were able to limit their search by department. This search feature was lost when the ETD system moved to the VUIR. LTDS has deployed a new department facet to VUIR to reenable this functionality. Since limiting by ETD department is only relevant to ETDs, this facet is only available in the ETD community (https://ir.vanderbilt.edu/handle/1803/9598) .
Do you have a training video that you want to make available via the web? We can help!
LTDS has created a tool that allows you to easily link to videos you create and stream them through the campus streaming server. These links can be either limited to users with a VUNetID or open to the public. Once your directory has been setup, you can link additional videos when they are ready.
Contact LTDS if you would like to utilize this resource.
Did you know? Teams has made some improvements to the meetings interface, including:
- Meetings open in a separate Teams window
- Meeting controls are in a more convenient location
- A new “large gallery” view is available so you can see up to 49 people at once
- …and more!
But…for now, these improvements won’t be pushed to you automatically — you have to opt in to try them out. Steps to enabling the “new meeting experience” on your desktop client:
- Select your profile pic at the top of the Teams app, then Settings > General. (General should be what’s showing when you open Settings, so you probably won’t have to select it.)
- Select Turn on new meeting experience.
- Restart Teams by doing the following:
- Right-click or Cmd-click the Teams icon in the Windows task bar or Mac System Tray.
- Select Quit.
- Start Teams again like you normally would.
Check out more details in this post from Microsoft. As always, contact LTDS via Inform if you have any questions!
We have been getting reports of some people having their computers log in showing only a black screen and the mouse cursor. This is due to firmware updates from Dell. The solution is just to wait a very, very long time.
After the black screen, things will slowly start coming back, first the desktop background, then icons, and windows. Even after it looks like everything is back, often it needs to run longer. This process will most likely take at least several hours, maybe much longer. Letting it run overnight is a good idea.
You will know it needs to keep going if you have apps that won’t open or that misbehave in strange ways. If you shut down the computer too soon, it will start the long process over from the beginning next time you log in.
The computer going to sleep will also stop the update. Here is how to change the sleep settings on your computer to keep it from going to sleep during the update:
1. Click on the start/windows icon at the far left of your toolbar
2. Click on the settings icon, the gear-shaped one
3. Click System, then click Power & sleep
4. Under “When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after”, change the sleep setting to Never.
As always, feel free to submit an INFORM ticket if you still have problems.
Many in LTDS took time off this week to spend with family, friends, and stand in line for Friday.
LTDS wishes everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving Day and abundance of joy )and projects) in the coming year!
Several team members were out of the office during the week for meetings or PTO, but the group continued to review INFORM tickets and responded as quickly as possible. The team also reviewed progress of projects related to systems with older operating systems and began discussing communication needs around the migrations.
- Airwatch changes
- Migrated several VMs to new cluster
- Continued work on VUMC user issues
- Digital Collections and Preservation
- Worked to resolve a couple of proposed changes to OJS including setting up double blind review
- Continued testing new version of DSpace
- Attended final ALCTS Digital Preservation webinar
- Prepared for World Digital Preservation day
- Web Management
- Added additional wordpress site
- Setup survey box for public web
- LAC Ballot
- Reviewed and updated LTDS blog content
- 3D Brains project
- Committee meetings
- Training courses
- Updated Alma related project list
LTDS utilized the week to catch-up on several items from the previous week. The team also spent time correcting various web related issues and discovering a new “feature” in Omni! The team also continued to refine the AirWatch deployment and enhance the staff administrative interface.
VUIT migrated the majority of the library staff outlook mailboxes on Monday evening. This generated several issues which all of LTDS work to resolve the remainder of the week. As of Friday we believe that all email related issues were resolved.
- Cleaned up MARC leader for a large group of records in Alma
- Desktop/Application support
- Moved ILL back to their offices, set up computers and printers, lots of troubleshooting.
- Office 365 and various software installs, pick up old equipment at Management Library.
- Set up new laptop at 21N and installed Office 365 for staff
- Digital Collections/Digital Preservation
- Updated ArchivesSpace on development
- Setup a new exhibit web site
- Meet with SSDA to discuss next steps for the collection
- Web/Web applications
- Corrected issue with EzProxy
- ERES canonical subjects discussions/work
- Patched Microsoft Window servers
- Committee work (LITA/ALA/eBUG/ELUNA)
- Webinar: Field Guide to Digital Preservation
Over the past week, your LTDS staff have been putting in a lot of time towards out-facing services. For instance, our first LTDS Office Hours was hosted on Friday, with 5 attendees with a variety of questions. Thank you for all who came and participated. This will be a weekly pilot so come and join us this Friday at 10am! Other out-facing services include website work, a lot of Informs, and committee work. Internally, we continue load user records into Alma, and support staff with various desktop issues. LTDS Staff continue to increase their skills by participating in various trainings, webinars, courses, and preparing to assist and/or teach.
* WordPress updates
* Islandora updates
* Clickable study room map
* New titles page interface improvements
* Public web typography refresh
* TVNews forgot password project
* LTDS Office Hours
* OCLC publishing project
* Library GitHub support/documentation
* Office 365 installation
* Library Juice Academy courses
* Alma Systems Committee
* Wayfinding Task Force
* Leganto Working Group
LTDS continued to work on various project and resolve INFORMS.
- Large influx of new student works and the need to Alma accounts
- Reviewing requests and work order priorities in Alma
- Desktop/Application support
- Deploying new desktops
- Continued renaming project
- Digital Collections
- Posted new library maps for the Central and Divinity libraries to Fourwinds (wayfinding)
- Web/Web applications
- Deployed Survicate (pop-up survey tool) for the public web
- New homepage for DiSC
- committee and online course work
- Hiring/re-hiring student workers
- Gargoyle scanning project